Monday, July 30, 2007

"Steroidal Play Sets" are Just a Symptom....

This article exemplifies what's wrong with many of today's American parents, who spend tens of thousands of dollars to provide their 1.3 children with the modern equivalent of the swing set, a playset so large it can sometimes be seen from space.

One of the play areas mentioned is three stories high and over 1200 square feet. How many children on this planet live in homes far smaller than that? Those who spoil their children to this extent (particularly considering how fancy public parks are today) better not complain years from now when they discover they've raised some very spoiled adults.

Ending the article with the little boy playing with his trucks under the enormous play area was a nice touch. I especially liked the poem about swingsets the reporter referenced in the article.

3 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

We just built a big play area for the kids, and I'm so glad we did. I really want to make our yard a place they WANT to be in, as opposed to going over to the neighbour's house. (I'm not overly fond of their kids.) At least if they're HERE, I can keep an eye on things....:-)

Barbara Frank said...

I'm not opposed to play areas in the yard....dh built a nice one for my kids that's still useful 20 years later. But when it's so enormous it can be seen from space and it's bigger than Grandma's house, I think we need to step back and think about the long-term effects on our kids.

Randi said...

Hmmm...this is interesting. Personally I think that so many things are just a little too "out there" these days.

I realize that sentence makes me sound old! ;)