Monday, May 14, 2007

Good Book for Homeschooled Teens?

I awoke this morning to hear Don Wade and Roma interviewing former Speaker of the House (and rumored 2008 presidential candidate) Newt Gingrich about his new book (written with his writing partner William R. Forstchen) called Pearl Harbor. Judging from what I heard, this might be a good book for homeschooled teens to read as part of their history studies.

Gingrich made the point that, because of our Western sensibilities, Americans of that time did not understand that the Japanese attack on us had more to do with how they saw themselves and their duty than how they felt about us specifically. Gingrich believes we are in a similar situation with radical Islamists today.

Many in my generation did not learn much about World War II in school; we rarely made it that far in the history textbooks before the end of the school year. The only reason I know much about it at all is that my father was a collector/restorer of World War II aircraft and vehicles, most of which are now in an air museum. I think it's important that we homeschooling parents make sure our kids know about that war.

I haven't read this book yet, but I want to learn more about it. If you do too, here's an excerpt to get you started.

No comments: