Monday, November 19, 2007

72 Hours

Just a little over 72 hours until it's time to put the turkey in the oven. In past years, I spent the week getting ready for guests on Thanksgiving. But this year it will be just five of us; the four who just moved here and our daughter coming up from her new home 45 minutes away. (We'll be heading back to IL for Christmas, but staying here for Thanksgiving.) Meanwhile our son and his bride will be eating turkey with his in-laws in St. Louis.

It's no big deal to cook for five, especially since our vegetarian daughter will be bringing her tofurkey. I'm not stressing, and I'm not preparing nearly as much food as I did when we had all the family over in the past. But if you're in charge of the turkey dinner this week, and are expecting a crowd of relatives to descend on you soon, I highly recommend taking the week off of school to get ready. That's how I used to survive Thanksgiving. I wrote about it here: "A Simple Homeschool Thanksgiving."

4 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Five isn't toooooo bad. Last year I had 31! :-) (we have a big family....:-)

Unknown said...

My husband and I are sick with bad colds so we'll be taking advantage of our 2 days off and resting.
Our teen is going to be cooking.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

We're "cheating" and staying at a hotel/indoor waterpark with a big Thanksgiving buffet.

Linda said...

I've always taken Thanksgiving Week off! It just seemed to make the week more enjoyable!! The one assignment that my children always had to do though was to write a thank-you letter to Jesus. It was their ticket to Thanksgiving Dinner. No letter...no turkey. Period. And no quick "Thanks for the cool present. I really like it." notes will be accepted!!

It has always been a wonderful Thanksgiving week exercise for them.

Have a GREAT Thanksgiving!
Linda
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/prodoceo