Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Post #200!

I didn't realize until I started to write this post that it's post #200. Seems like I should write about something a little more earth-shattering than a recipe Leslie requested in her comment, but I'm afraid I don't have anything more exciting prepared for this noteworthy milestone ;) OTOH, these scones are pretty yummy, and they do have chocolate in them, so I guess that makes them worthy of post #200, doesn't it?

BTW, Trader Joe's charges $2.99 for a skimpy package of these. Save money, time and make your house smell great by making them yourself ;)

Chocolate Chip Scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine 2 c. flour, 2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. baking soda and 1/2 t. salt.
Stir in 1/4 c. sugar.
Using a pastry blender or two serrated knives, cut in 6 T. butter (cut in pieces first) until mixture looks like coarse meal. Add 1 c. chocolate chips and stir well.

In separate small bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 3/4 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt. Stir into dry ingredients and mix just until blended. (Warning: this gets gooshy.) Plop dough onto floured cutting board. Flour your hands and gently knead dough 3-4 times, then pat into a 1/2" thick circle. Cut into 12 wedges (I use a pizza cutter). Put wedges on ungreased cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle with a bit of sugar.

Bake 12-14 minutes until golden brown; enjoy!

(P.S. You healthy types might want to try this with berries instead of chocolate chips. That's what the recipe called for before I got hold of it.)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Can't wait to try it!