Friday, October 26, 2007

More on Indoctrination at Colleges

As I posted recently, "Indoctrinate U" is a new documentary that exposes efforts at indoctrination in American colleges and universities. Dr. Walter E. Williams, economics professor at George Mason University, syndicated columnist and my favorite guest host of the Rush Limbaugh radio show, reports that the documentary describes how professors at some schools seek to repress free speech and control students with opinions different from their own:

Under the ruse of ending harassment, a number of universities have established speech codes. Bowdoin College has banned jokes and stories "experienced by others as harassing." Brown University has banned "verbal behavior" that "produces feelings of impotence, anger or disenfranchisement" whether "unintentional or intentional." University of Connecticut has outlawed "inappropriately directed laughter." Colby College has banned any speech that could lead to a loss of self-esteem. "Suggestive looks" are banned at Bryn Mawr College and "unwelcomed flirtations" at Haverford College. Fortunately for students, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has waged a successful war against such speech codes.

He also reminds us:

On other campuses, such as Lehigh, Central Michigan, Arizona, Holy Cross and California Berkeley universities, administrators banned students, staff and faculty from showing signs of patriotism after the 9/11 attacks. On some campuses, display of the American flag was banned; the pledge of allegiance and singing patriotic songs were banned out of fear of possibly offending foreign students.

Bottom line: if you're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on your child's college education, check out the college thoroughly so you don't find yourself paying the salaries of people determined to limit your child's right to free speech.

2 comments:

JacciM said...

Good gravy. That's unbelievable.

When I first clicked on your link (from the COHS), I thought you were going to talk about all of the dangers of a public university in general. I attended a public university, and I actually believe that combatting the "indoctrination" strengthened me as both a debater and a believer. BUT, if I couldn't even voice my views, that is an entirely different ballgame. I don't usually consider myself to be naive, but I had no idea that so many universities would be pass rules of conduct so blatantly unconstitutional. Guess I need to read more. Thanks for the thoughts.

Barbara Frank said...

Yes, Jacci, I know what you mean. I attended a huge public university (35,000 people) and I felt the wide range of discussion helped me clarify my own beliefs. But we had the freedom to speak our minds without repercussions. Now it seems that freedom is evaporating at some schools...how sad. What I want to know is, why aren't more parents of college students complaining about this?