Friday, October 19, 2007

Am I a Secessionist?

Mark Steyn is one of my favorite writers. I found his book America Alone to be very thought-provoking, and I enjoy most of his articles.


Today I was reading a very recent piece he wrote, "The 'Cold Civil War' in the U.S.," and was surprised to see that in discussing the not-yet-physical battle between the Left and the Right in this country, he describes the Right in an interesting way. Just after listing some of the exploits of the Left, he moves across the spectrum:


Well, it takes two to have a cold civil war. The right must be doing some of this stuff, too, surely? Up to a point. But for the most part they either go along, or secede from the system -- they home-school, turn to talk radio and the Internet, read Christian publishers' books that shift millions of copies without ever showing up on a New York Times bestsellers list.


"Secede from the system".....I like that phrase! Still, it makes me wonder if, in this case, seceding is the same as giving up. Something to ponder.....

No comments: