Friday, September 26, 2008

Treasures

Remember when you were a kid and you got hold of a special treat, like a box of Chiclets or a bag of M&Ms, and you couldn't wait to share some with someone special?

That's how I feel about Elisabeth Elliot. Anything she does is so wonderful that I just want to share it with my friends. She's so encouraging, so wise, so Biblically accurate that I can never get enough of her work.

Here are some Elisabeth Elliot treasures I want to share with you. First off, here's a list of back issues of her newsletters. At her Web site, you will find a link to her very encouraging radio broadcasts, which she stopped doing in 2001. (Here's a direct link to the transcripts of those broadcasts.)

I was fortunate to receive one of her books for my birthday: Keep a Quiet Heart. The most recent book of hers I read was Discipline: The Glad Surrender, and it was certainly a good one!

I included her fantastic book Shaping of a Christian Family, The: How My Parents Nurtured My Faith in the reading list found in my own book, Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers, Second Edition: A Parent-Friendly Curriculum For Teaching Teens To Handle Money, Live Moral Lives And Get Ready For Adulthood, and all three of my older kids have read it.

One of her most famous books is Through Gates of Splendor, the story of her first husband, missionary Jim Elliot, who was murdered by some of the Ecuadorian Indians he and his fellow missionaries were trying to reach with the Gospel (the movie End of the Spear is also about that sad event).

You'll enjoy Elisabeth Elliot's work. And lest you think she can't understand what your life is like because she only ever had one child, you should know that her daughter is a homeschooling mom of eight :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree she is such an amazing woman with an amazing testimony! That's for the links! :)

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I have read Through the Gates of Splendor. Oh, it was soooo good! I like her writing too!

Barbara Frank said...

You're welcome, Pam.

Janet, I'm glad you like her too :)

Angela Fehr said...

I haven't read much of Elisabeth Elliot's recent work. Loved Passion & Purity, Through Gates of Splendor and her biography of Amy Carmichael, A Chance to Die.

Biographies of Christian leaders are so inspiring - so often we feel surrounded by compromise, and to read about real people who were surrendered completely to God makes it easier to do myself.

Barbara Frank said...

Angela, thanks for stopping by! I have begun "Keep a Quiet Heart" and am really enjoying it. Hope you get a chance to read it, too. It's different than her biographies but still very good.