Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ditching Class

I was at a blog recently (not a homeschooling blog) and saw this comment:

I ditched 5 out of 6 days in High school. Would goto the library and read. The truant officers never looked in the library. The best place to get an education is the library. I would show up to school on test days get an A and leave. Hated high school. Tested at 15 out went to college at 16 was in the was in the army at 17. That was the real education sitting in the desert having someone shooting at you.

I'll admit it's obvious that this man ditched punctuation class. :)

But he's now a self-supporting adult (I don't know how old he is). Given his ability to test out of high school and be accepted into college, just how much did he miss out on by ditching school? I see his posts occasionally at that blog, and clearly he's quite knowledgeable about economics and business. Makes me wonder how many others would be better off spending the day in the school library reading and hiding from the truant officers.

1 comment:

Melissa Markham said...

Probably way more than we want to know!