Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nobody's Perfect


Billy Wilder is one of my favorite film directors. The last two words on his tombstone also happen to be the last two words in one of the best Wilder films, "Some Like It Hot."

I've written about our family's Valentine's Day tradition of a giant heart cookie (recipe here), but in recent years we've established another tradition. Each Valentine's Day, we watch "Some Like It Hot."

You might wonder what the connection is between the movie and the holiday. Well, the plot is put into motion by the infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre, which took place in the city where I was born and which I lived in or near all my life until last summer: Chicago.

We're not the only ones who love this movie; it was voted #1 funniest film by the American Film Institute (AFI). However, I don't recommend it for children. Teens should be fine, though.

No comments: