Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Disabled and Gifted

Since I have a teenage son with Down syndrome, I do know something about having a child with a disability, but I only really know about his specific issue. There are many other disabilities that I know little or nothing about.

One of those disabilities is autism. My cousin has a son who’s six weeks older than mine and he’s autistic. But I’ve only met him a few times because we live pretty far apart. I also have a homeschooling friend whose youngest son is autistic, but again, I’ve only seen him once or twice because we don’t live near them.

So I wouldn’t say I’m familiar with autism, but I have to admit that stories like this one fascinate me. To be able to recreate a scene with so much detail from memory is just completely amazing, and an incredible gift.

3 comments:

Amy said...

He is AMAZING

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That is truly amazing. Can you imagine?

Melissa Markham said...

That is amazing. Autism, like Down's Syndrome, has a range of abilities. I have a nephew with Down's Syndrome and he is on the low functioning end.

I used to work with children with disabilities in an early intervention program. And it was an amazing thing to see how huge the range could be.